Owings Mills Veterinary Center contains an in-house laboratory, which enables us to provide immediate results for many laboratory tests instead of having to wait for results from an outside laboratory. Our diagnostic equipment can perform a wide range of in-house testing options.
When time is of the essence for a pet’s treatment, blood chemistry and hematology profiles can be completed within half an hour. Our instruments provide accurate results for the following tests:
- Pre-anesthetic bloodwork
- Complete blood cell count
- Kidney function
- Liver function
Other common tests that are performed include:
- Urinalysis: Testing of the urine to look at the different components that are in the urine that might reveal possible disease processes like urinary tract infection, kidney disease, diabetes.
- Fungal culture: Special culture media used to look for infections of the skin using hair or scales of the skin as samples.
- Cytology: The microscopic examination of cells taken from ear swabs, skin scrapes, and needle aspirates. Yeast infection in the ear canal or on skin, mites and cancerous cells are some of the abnormalities we can detect on cytology.
- Fecal analysis: A flotation technique is used to evaluate the presence of roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms in the feces of our pets. It is important to evaluate the fecal samples of our pets annually because of the potential for zoonotic disease as well a the overall health of the animal.
- Heartworm testing
- Feline leukemia testing
- Feline Immunodeficiency Virus testing
- Tick borne disease testing (Lyme, Ehrlichia, Anaplasma)