Owings Mills Veterinary Center has a full-service pharmacy stocked with common medications prescribed by our veterinarians. We carry prescriptions for antibiotics, parasiticides, heart medications, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, medicated shampoos, topical ointments, ophthalmic drops, ear cleaners, anti-diarrheal and anti-tussive medications. If refills are needed for your pets you just need to call us and we will check with the doctor to get approval.
Owings Mills Veterinary Center offers an in-house pharmacy so you can enjoy these benefits:
- The convenience of having prescriptions filled during your visit
- High-quality medications guaranteed by the drug manufacturer
- A thorough understanding of your pet’s medical history and needs
- On-going monitoring of your pet’s health and medications
Television commercials, pet supply catalogs, and Internet pharmacies that promise a “deal” on pet prescriptions may be misleading. The Florida Board of Pharmacy has disciplined Pet Med Express and Savemax Inc. for dispensing drugs not approved by the FDA and contracting of veterinarians to write prescriptions without examining the animal. The companies were fined more than $67,000, placed on probation for 3 years, must perform 2300 hours of community service, and must complete continuing-education courses. These are serious violations.
If you purchase prescriptions through such pharmacies, please be aware of these risks:
- The drug manufacturer may not guarantee medications
- Some medications may be foreign drugs that may not have the same quality and purity assurance as the United States does. It is generally illegal to dispense foreign drugs in the United States, including foreign versions of U.S. products.
- Some medications may be imitations of approved drugs.
- Selling prescriptions directly to consumers without a veterinarian-client-patient relationship may pose health risks to patients.